Terry High School seniors Boyd Chase and Emerril Green hope to make it all add up
RAYMOND – Terry High School seniors Boyd Chase and Emerril Green hope to make it all add up as they transition soon into college from high school.
“My parents want me to go to either here or Mississippi State first,” Chase said, speaking to instructors in the mathematics department at Hinds Community College Raymond Campus on Feb. 2 for Preview Day. “I’m looking at studying biomedical engineering.”
Chase and Green, who’s looking into Hinds’ multiple computer-related technology programs, were among more than 800 high school seniors and their parents who attended the event at the Mayo Gym. The annual exhibition features all the college’s academic and career-tech programs, activities and organizations Hinds has to offer.
Prospective students from high schools in and around Jackson and from Vicksburg toured the campus and interacted with students and faculty about admissions, scholarships, financial aid, majors, housing, student life and more.
For high schoolers, it’s a time to find out how Hinds’ programs of study can build a successful career.
“I found out about all the different projects and blueprints they can do in the Fab Lab,” said Del Money, a senior at Jim Hill High School who checked out the latest prototypes coming off the 3-D printers used in the college’s Engineering and Drafting Design program. “I want to try to be an architect.”
Career success in healthcare figures to run in several families present for the event.
“It’ll be nursing, since I like helping people,” said Tyra Wilson, a Warren Central High School senior who attended Preview Day with her mother, Katie Guise, and sister, Jada Guise, also a Warren Central senior.
Upcoming similar events at Hinds locations include:
- Utica Campus, Feb. 16, 9 a.m. to noon, “See Ya at the U” recruiting event
- Kendall Agricultural Complex, Raymond Campus, Feb. 23, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Ag Expo 2018
- Vicksburg-Warren Campus, March 2, 8 a.m. to noon, March Madness recruiting event
- Jackson Campus-Nursing/Allied Health Center, March 8, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Nursing and Allied Health Spring Showcase
- Rankin Campus College Day recruiting event, Muse Center, March 23, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Jackson Campus-Academic/Technical Center, April 6, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., College Carnival recruiting event
- Vicksburg-Warren Campus, April 10, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., Spring Sign-Up Day recruiting event
For more information about these special events, visit hub.hindscc.edu/events.