Honored with the distinctions Feb. 26-27 at the organization’s Mississippi/Louisiana Regional Conference at Mississippi State University were:
- Gamma Lambda chapter, at the Raymond Campus. The chapter also won first place in the Theme Award category, with the theme of Quests of Human Expression, second place for the Honors in Action Award and fifth place for Most Distinguished Chapter.
- Alpha Omicron Omega chapter, at the Rankin Campus. The chapter also won third place for College Project and seventh place for the Honors in Action Award.
- Alpha Beta Xi chapter, at the Utica Campus. Two Horizon Awards for Advisors were awarded, to Beverly Trimble and Chelia Woodfork-Thompson, for their work with the chapter.
Hinds’ six PTK chapters “did us proud,” said Honors Institute Dean Deborah McCollum, faculty advisor for Gamma Lambda chapter and district dean for the college’s Honors Institute. “These hard working young men and women are the future leaders of our communities, and the skills they learn through PTK not only enhance their professionalism but also help promote their engagement in their communities.
Five-Star designations show chapter engagement in PTK activities.
“Our chapter is exceedingly gratified to have our work in community and college service recognized by achieving 5-star status again this year,” said Joy Rhoads, faculty advisor for the Rankin Campus chapter and coordinator of the campus’ Honors program. “The leadership and scholarship development through our efforts has benefited chapter members as well as the college and our community.”
“The Alpha Beta Xi chapter may be small but we have a mighty roar,” said Beverly Trimble, faculty advisor for the Utica Campus. “Our chapter is all about building and continuously growing to reach new heights. We are very proud to be a Five-Star Chapter but to whom much is given much is required.”
Also honored individually at the regional competition were:
- Robert Harrison Hunter, Most Distinguished Officer, Gamma Lambda
- Olivia DeGrado, Most Distinguished Officer runner-up, Gamma Lambda
- Debbie McCollum, Horizon Award for Advisors, Gamma Lambda
- Johannah Williams, Most Distinguished Advisor, Gamma Lambda
- Hilda Wells, Horizon Award for Advisors, Alpha Zeta Omega
Phi Theta Kappa is the international honor society of two-year colleges and academic programs. It is based in Jackson and has more than 2 million members in more than 1,250 chapters worldwide. Chapters operating at Hinds also include Alpha Zeta Omega, at the Jackson Campus, and Alpha Omega Chi, at the Vicksburg-Warren Campus.