Hinds Community College’s Honors Institute presented 16 students with awards of excellence for the 2014-15 academic term. Each named a faculty mentor, who received a certificate as an Honored Faculty Member during a ceremony Wednesday, April 27.
Receiving Honors Scholar awards were:
- Sydney Bufkin, of Vicksburg, who honored Music Instructor Randy Mapes
- Lena Dixon, of Raymond, who honored Associate Director of Housing Tara Dunn
- Tainekia Dixon, of Utica, who honored Academic Dean Dr. Tom Kelly
- Styler Ginger, of Byram, who honored History Instructor Sheila Hailey
- D’Erra McClure-Carter, of Port Gibson, who honored Veterinary Technology Instructor Dana Woodward
- Sidney Phillips, of Florence, who honored Art Instructor Paula Duren
- Ryan Saxton, of Clinton, who honored Chemistry Instructor Jason Webb
- Megan Stockton, of Clinton, who honored Sociology Instructor Audrey Glenn
- Taylor Stockton, of Cleveland, who honored Philosophy Instructor Stephen Wedding
- Sara Terrell, of Bogue Chitto, who honored Agribusiness Technology Thomas Strickland
Honors Scholars carry 12 or more honors hours, an overall GPA of 3.25 or better and at least 20 hours of community service.
Receiving Distinguished Honors Scholar awards were:
- Elijah Beatty, of Pearl, who honored Reading Instructor Jennifer Rodgers
- Olivia DeGrado, of Benton, who honored Business Administration Instructor Mike Clark
- Courtney Evans, of Raymond, who honored Psychology Sharon Dorman
- Robert Harrison Hunter, of Hermanville, who honored Computer Science Instructor Johannah Williams
- Michael Pham, of Byram, who honored Mathematics Instructor Jeff Hughes
- Eric Rush, of Clinton, who honored English Instructor Tim Krason
Distinguished Honors Scholars carry 18 or more honors hours and have two semesters in the Leadership Program. They must maintain an overall GPA of 3.5 or better and have at least 30 hours of community service.