Longtime administration building was first built in 1951

RAYMOND – Hinds Community College has won an award from the state’s premier historic preservation organization for the renovation of Jenkins Hall on the Raymond Campus.

From left, Hinds President Dr. Clyde Muse, Belinda Stewart, lead architect, and Bill Campbell, project architect at Hinds (Hinds Community College/April Garon)

The Mississippi Heritage Trust recognized the renovation among 43 other restoration efforts across the state as part of the 2018 Heritage Awards Celebration on June 7 in Ocean Springs.

“The pride of the college and the community is evident through the care and commitment to the structures and landscapes of each campus,” said Belinda Stewart, of Belinda Stewart Architects, PA, lead architect on the project and who nominated the project to MHT for consideration. “The Jenkins building is a wonderful example of rehabilitating an important historic campus resource to meet the current needs of the college.”

Jenkins Hall was first built in 1951 and is named for Adam Jenkins, a longtime former employee of the college who retired in 2002 as vice president for Business Services. It was called simply the Administration Building until it was renamed for Jenkins. The renovation was a three-year effort financed by state bond proceeds and cost about $3 million.

Offices for the Financial Aid and Veterans Services departments occupy space in the newly renovated structure, as does the campus’ Honors Institute and offices for the Vice President for the Raymond Campus and the Academic Dean.

Every other year, the MHT awards significant restorations around the state to recognize the work of individuals, civic organizations, educational institutions and local, county and state governments to preserve the places that tell the story of Mississippi. 

Categories: News