Hinds Community College alumnae Gwen Post White of Brandon is among Mississippi community and junior college athletes who were inducted into the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges Sports Hall of Fame on April 25 at the Muse Center at Hinds’ Rankin Campus.
She attended Clinton High School from 1951 to 1955 where she lettered in three sports — basketball, tennis and track — and was a member of the state championship track team and district championship tennis team. But it’s in basketball where she really excelled, scoring more than 3,000 points. During her senior year alone, she scored 1,050 points for a 29-point per game average.
She continued her career at the collegiate level at then-Hinds Junior College from 1955 to 1956, winning Most Athletic in fall 1956. White was a part of the 1956 state championship tennis team and lettered in basketball. She also played basketball at Mississippi College.
White showed her love and passion for sports even long after her playing days were over, coaching track, tennis, basketball and softball at Clinton High School, Canton High School, McCluer Academy, Belhaven University and Northwest Rankin High School.
All told, White coached seven state championship teams in three different sports. Her career basketball coaching record was an astounding 373-101. While coaching tennis, she had 325 victories to only 26 defeats for a winning percentage of 93 percent. She also coached three undefeated state championship track teams.
White helped create the high school all-star girls basketball game in 1965 and introduced AAU girls’ basketball and track and field to Mississippi. White was named All-Star coach in three sports: tennis, basketball and softball. She retired from coaching in 2012 after 51 years.
She was the first female in the Mississippi Association of Coaches and was inducted into the Mississippi Association of Coaches Hall of Fame in 1990, the Hinds Community College Sports Hall of Fame in 1993, the Belhaven University Athletics Hall of Fame in 1998 and the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in 2015.
Hinds alum Gwen Post White inducted into MACJC SHOF.
Hinds Community College is celebrating its 100th year of Community Inspired Service in 2017. Hinds opened in September 1917 first as an agricultural high school and admitted college students for the first time in 1922, with the first class graduating in 1927. In 1982 Hinds Junior College and Utica Junior College merged, creating the Hinds Community College District. Today, as Mississippi’s largest community college, Hinds Community College is a comprehensive institution with six locations. Hinds offers quality, affordable educational opportunities with academic programs of study leading to seamless university transfer and career and technical programs teaching job-ready skills. To learn more, visit www.hindscc.edu or call 1.800.HindsCC.