About 85 percent of students at Hinds receive financial aid of some kind. Through the generosity of donors, the Hinds Community College Foundation awards scholarships to more than 600 students each year. The application process for Foundation Scholarships is easy. Students can access the required forms on the college web site at www.hindscc.edu/foundationscholarship.
Students must submit the following documents by March 1 to be considered for a Hinds Community College Foundation Scholarship:
- An application for admission to Hinds Community College. This application is available on the website at www.hindscc.edu.
- An application for Foundation Scholarships that includes a summary of why the applicant feels he/she should be considered for a scholarship, a list of achievements and a brief statement of any special financial needs. Also submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is preferred but not required.
- High school and/or college transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for scholarship purposes. Transcripts must demonstrate a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 in order to be considered. If the transcript does not include a cumulative GPA, students must submit a verification form completed by the high school counselor. The form is found on the college website.
- A copy of their ACT scores, if not posted on the high school transcript, or GED scores, if applicable.
- Three recommendations from individuals (i.e. – school, church, community/civic organizations or work). Students may use the recommendation form available on the website. It is the student’s responsibility to provide copies of the form to the individuals who are providing their recommendations and to have those submitted by the March 1 deadline.
Recipients of Hinds Community College scholarships must enroll in 15 or more credit hours each semester and maintain the cumulative GPA required by their scholarship.
The Hinds Community College Foundation manages nearly 300 scholarship funds. The Foundation awards more than 600 student scholarships ranging from $300 to $2,400.
Another scholarship opportunity for high school seniors is the ACT scholarship. ACT scholarships range from $1,000-$3,000 per semester. Students who attend Hinds as their first college after high school graduation will automatically receive an ACT scholarships if they have a 21 or above on the ACT. Eligible recipients must also be a Mississippi resident.
Students may email email@example.com or call 601.857.3744 for information related to applying for Foundation scholarships.
Persons interested in providing scholarships may contact Betty Caraway, Donor Relations Coordinator for the Foundation, at 601.857.3800.\
As Mississippi’s largest community college, Hinds Community College is a comprehensive institution offering quality, affordable educational opportunities with more than 170 academic, career and technical programs. With six locations in central Mississippi, Hinds enrolled nearly 12,000 credit students in fall 2015. To learn more, visit www.hindscc.edu or call 1.800.HindsCC.